Wednesday, February 16, 2011

An Owl in My Journal...

Journal page from Feb 16, 2011
...is worth two in the tree.  I was up early this morning, migraine-free (hooray!!) and ready to paint, having sketched this little guy last night.  My journal work seems to taking a turn towards more illustration and less jibber jabber.  I think there's a few reasons for this transformation:
  • Late last year, I had vowed to tap into my imagination more and reduce the significance of collage in my work.  I'll never completely give up collage (I am a mixed media gal after all) but I want my original paintings and drawings to take center stage.
  • I've been a little hesitant to give my doodles solid form, afraid they'll be judged "too cutesy."  In the past few months, I've been able to move past that restrictive thinking.  My journals are for me and me alone.  If someone finds my work not to their liking, they can click away from my blog. 
  • I have an important show coming up in October and I'm in the pondering and planning stage.  I'm pretty sure it will have something to do with animals and birds so I'm using my journals as a practice field.
  • Sometimes my life sparks prolific internal dialogue that begs to be written down; other times, I just want to record my daily experiences and thoughts through imagery and the process of creating that imagery.
It is interesting to experience this turn of events.  It feels awkward, natural, scary, exhilarating, familiar and foreign all at once.  I'm not sure where I'm headed or why but I trust that my journals know where I need to go.

6 comments:

indybev said...

The bold color and the wise quote make for a simply wonderful piece!

Terri Kahrs said...

You're following your heart, and it shows in this lovely piece. Enjoy the journey! Hugs, Terri xoxoxo

JessiVille said...

I will not be clicking away from your blog. Love your owl! The beautiful eyes that watch me over the shoulder almost hypnotize me. The colors you use are so juicy - my favorites together.

NatashaMay said...

I love what you've written. :) Congrats on the upcoming show. The owl is magnificent!

Carol said...

And then one day you will look back and say "well that was an interesting journey".
Love the owl with such a wise quote.

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

OMG your owl is GoRGEOUS!!! I just love the colors and his eyes are so soulful! I found your blog from the Art Journal Every Day Link at Julie Balzer's blog - I will be back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...