Wednesday, January 26, 2011

January Progresses, Inch by Inch

After a side trip this morning for an MRI scan of my right foot (in contemplation for yet another surgery), I'm back in the studio, doodling and painting.

I am absolutely delighted with how my inchie collection for January is shaping up.  It is a great project because even if I feel like crap for most of the day, I still can manage that inch worth of art at some point.  I'm a little worried that if I continue on for too many months, I might run out of things to doodle but for now, I'm just enjoying the process.  Each little square is a pane in the window into my life.

For the curious - I am using punched squares of Arches 140-pound hot press watercolor paper that have been edged and numbered with Midnight Blue Staz-On.  I glued those squares right into my "daily diary;" I'm hoping I don't regret not creating a separate book for my calender inchies but I have so very many journals in progress that I thought I'd just go ahead and combine the daily doodling and daily blathering into one volume.

Anyway, I first sketch out my doodle in pencil and then lay in color using a variety of pan watercolors.  When the paint is dry, I outline and detail with black Microns and very occasionally, use a marker to add litle shadows.  The entire process takes between five and fifteen minutes, depending on how intricate I decide to get with my little sketch.  The simplicity of this endeavor has made it possible for me to meet the challenge of art journaling every day despite spending the better part of the month in headache hell.  WhooHoo for tiny art!!

2 comments:

  1. What an intriguing "peek" over your shoulder, Michelle! I can't WAIT to see your finished calendar page! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, so glad your little 'inchies are keeping you going, and sorry I couldn't make your picture larger to look at the details.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...