Sunday, January 9, 2011

Challenge Check-In: A Little Here, A Little There

This was a pretty good week for me.  I journaled every day since last Sunday with some days more prolific than others.  On two days, all I managed was the inchie-sized doodle for January's calendar and a couple of entries in my "morning journal" stretch across two days' time.  All other days, I completed both the doodle and the diary entry.  In contrast, I spent hours playing on Thursday, resulting in the page you see here.  The bonus?  I took pictures every step of the way and I'm working on a mega-post featuring the entire step-by-step for this page background.

An inch worth of art isn't much, I know, but it counts.  In that inch, I captured a tiny moment, a fleeting tidbit of time that I'll now be able to recall forever.  In the ten minutes or so I spent sketching and painting, my mind was calm, my pulse slowed, my soul was happy.  A little here, a little there: it all adds up.  And when I had more time, I settled in and really let loose.  Do I wish I had done more?  Sure. But I don't want to waste time grieving what might have been.  I need to trust that I did exactly what I was meant to and remember that, regardless of the wild variation in productivity, I did nurture the artist inside every day and consistency of committment is important.

I think it is also valuable to remember that creativity is not limited to art journaling.  I did a lot of cooking this week as well.  I'm not a fantastic cook but I can make a few yummy and nutritious meals.  I find that the act of cooking is very soothing - measuring, chopping, stirring, seasoning.  I also taught 50 middle school students how to work together to create doodled and watercolored papers for their art journals.  I did laundry and found great satisfaction in folding the soft, warm clothes and tucking them back into their proper place.  I played with my kitties, throwing Squeaky Mouse repeatedly and making Squirrel wriggle convincingly across the living room.  I provided the cats a lap whenever they asked and was rewarded with rumbling purrs.  I played Go Fish with my son using some ridiculously-sized cards and we laughed when they all fell out of our hands.  I watched Dinner with Schmucks and laughed some more.  Every day this week, I did something that nourished my self, my family, my health and thus, my art.  I can't wait for the new week to begin...

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't sound like it can get any better to me Michelle! I am also learning to nurture myself too, but I still find it difficult.
    Your page is really gorgeous, looks like it is thick with richness!
    Thank you so much for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...