Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Year, New Challenges

As 2010 winds down, I am gearing up for the challenges I have decided to tackle for 2011.  I have always adored the concept of vowing to make something every day for a year as if such a commitment would be the only way to demonstrate that I am indeed an artist.  And I have started a couple of those "every day" projects in Januarys past and usually, by February, I fall behind and give up.  I look at that unfinished promise and mourn the lost body of work, berate myself for my woeful lack of followthrough.  Indeed, life struggles have gotten in the way of a few promises in the last few years; there are some past ventures still incomplete and they weigh on my conscience every day.

I have a feeling 2011 will be different.  2010 was the first year in perhaps a decade when I felt like I made progress in my health issues.  I still went through the usual remittance and relapse cycle but overall, I feel like I actually gained a little bit of footing.  I hope...no, believe...that the trend will continue into next year.  In celebration, I am planning on finally finishing up long-neglected projects and tackling three new, interconnected challenges.


This year, I looked for challenges that dovetailed with my current and renewed interests.  In the past six months, I have become intensely focused on reacquainting with and expanding my drawing and painting skills.  I am more focused than ever on art journaling and I am, in general, working to bring creativity into all aspects of my daily life.  So I have decided to participate in three challenges launching this Saturday, January 1st: The Sketchbook Challenge, organized by Sue Bleiweiss, the Art Journal Every Day project hosted by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer and finally, the annual Creative Every Day mission guided by Leah Piken Kolidas.

Here are some important things to note:
  • These challenges overlap in goal & mission and I will not hesitate to use work for one to satisfy the monthly theme for another (or vice versa).
  • I am taking everything ONE MONTH AT A TIME!  I will not regard laspes as failures but as opportunities to begin again.  
  • I will post every Sunday my "Challenge Check-In" as a means of recording what I did that week for one or more of these projects.  I will be celebrating quality, not quantity!
  • As I participate, I want to feel happy, excited, expanded.  If I start to feel burdened or overwhelmed, I give myself permission to take a break without guilt.
That said, I can't wait for the challenges to begin!  I hope you'll join me in making 2011 a year of creative abundance! 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...