Thursday, November 18, 2010

Painting Out in the Wide World

"Watcher"
"Touch of Violet"
watercolor
These little landscapes represent my first ever plein aire painting experience (this class has generated a lot of firsts.)  After packing up my folding chair, palette, paint box, brushes, drawing board with paper attached, water jar and a gallon of spare water, I joined my class at a local wildlife preserve to practice three-tiered landscapes.  I discovered several things:
  • It's all about the layers, baby!
  • Clouds move quickly...
  • A perfectly sunny day with only a slight breeze is a blessing indeed...
  • Sunny days can be deceptively chilly...
  • It is impossible to paint with mittens on...
  • It is impossible for me to paint exactly what I see fast enough so the word for the day was "interpret."
  • Another word for the day: "relax."
  • Insect guts make an indelible smudge mark when snuffed out in the middle of their trek across your painting...
  • Wildlife preserves have a lot of wayward insects...
  • Scout your location ahead of time to reduce what you need to carry into the field.  (I was seated on the observation deck right next to the bathrooms and consequently, a source of water - no need for the jug o' water.)
  • Try to burn images into your head so you can continue to "interpret" when you get home...
  • The world is filled with A LOT of shades of green...

3 comments:

  1. Michelle, I think these watercolors are soooo beautiful, composition and color! They are so different from I am used to seeing you do...and it is very refreshing....a whole new spectacular world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, heh, heh! I'm chuckling as I read your post, Michelle! Insects do leave an indelible stamp on plein aire paintings!!! And there are more shades of green than anyone can ever imagine!!! These little pieces are lovely! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missed you. Just stopped by to see how things are going for you. Love your watercolor works. They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...