Monday, August 16, 2010

A Thought with Legs

As indicated in previous posts, I've decided to pursue a fresh path in my art.  I'm not stomping off into entirely foreign provinces, just launching a more thorough and impassioned expedition into the world of whimsical illustration.  It's certainly not that I'm disenchanted with my previous work; I just want to venture into the most authentic, rewarding, and frankly, challenging territory possible and when I surveyed my past artistic forays, I discovered that my most personally satisfying work contained lots and lots of hand-generated details.  For me, collage with magazine clippings or vintage photos often feels forced, awkward, impersonal.  And when I sat quietly, going further back into my creative origins, I remembered that I've always loved to create characters; I even did a fair amount of fiction and poetry writing once upon a time.

So, after a period of intense reflection, the necessary journey became clear, as if a heavy fog had lifted.  My head is flooded with ideas and I'm falling in love all over again.  My bags are packed with all the tools and techniques I feel leave the most authentic fingerprints.  I'm processing, researching, doodling, planning, and notetaking like mad.  I actually have a very specific adventure in mind and more will be revealed on that topic over the next few days.  I hope you, dear readers (a small but fierce contingent), will follow along with the creative caravan soon departing the Lost Coast for destinations unknown.  

6 comments:

  1. Looks good, it's always fun to take a different direction with art, even if it's something you've done before. It's always kind of nice to rediscover things you haven't done in a while.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyyy!!! All aboard!!! My bags are packed so that I can accompany you, and I'm NOT looking back! I'm soooo looking forward to your journey, Michelle, and having seen this first page, I know that we're in for a real treat!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am traveling with you also Michelle! I know this will be a fantastic ride. Love your whimsy page today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hurrah! i'm glad to hear that you are feeling a renewal! please holler at me about our journal exchange. i've been trying to reach you. i'd love to keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving this page and cant wait to see what else springs from you

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun and lovely whimsy! I, too, am looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...