Monday, August 23, 2010

Shine On

I started doodling these little spud-headed characters way back in 2004 so after browsing my sketchbooks for inspiration, I decided to convert one of my ink scribbles into paint.  I think this face style is a bit too simplistic for my upcoming needs; I need to develop something that has the potential for a broader range of facial expressions.  However, this little "sun child" has his own charm.  I think the background needed more pizazz  but this really was just an experiment in blending and shading.

Experimentation is the word for today...and tomorrow...and the day after that.  I'd like to develop some illustrative consistency before I launch into my Big Idea.  I also have other projects & interests calling my name (I'm oh so behind!) and I'll need to tackle and complete those before I can really lean into my adventure.  But little by little, an itinerary will emerge and when the time is right (probably beginning in November), I'll be ready to fully focus on my plans.

What are those plans?  (I know, I know - enough suspense already!)  For now, I'm keeping the theme of my journey close to my heart, letting the idea take root and blossom a bit before transplanting it into the world.  I will say that my general scheme is this:  take a unifying theme and explore it in word and image over a long period of time (hopefully one year).  I'd like to compile all my explorations into a single volume.  I'm not sure if I'll work on this project to the exclusion of all else; it remains to be seen how far down the rabbit hole I fall.  Tomorrow, I'll elaborate a bit more on why I'm even looking down that rabbit hole in the first place.  Until then, I wish you all a sunny day and artful times...

2 comments:

  1. Your little spud-headed Mr. Sunshine arrived at just the right moment today, Michelle! It's been raining cats and dogs for the past few days, and this spark of sunshine and happiness is just the ticket!!! As for your experiments, I'm waiting, watching and eager to accompany you on your journey down that proverbial enchanted hole!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...