Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Flame of Change

The planning and pondering continues here on the Lost Coast at a breakneck pace.  On the one hand, a creative fever is a good sign as it means I'm nearing the heart of my true passion; on the other, there is the potential to burn up with the heat of too many ideas bubbling up all at once.  Still, I'm letting the fire burn, containing its enthusiasm only when necessary and otherwise waiting to see what the flames will reveal.

This crazy idea for a new project sparked to life about a month ago.  Since my wrist fusion surgery in 2008, making a full, tight fist has continued to be difficult and that complicates both my precision and endurance in the studio.  Notice that your wrist bends upwards when gripping something; hand and wrist muscles work together to hold an object.  Take the wrist movement out of the equation and the hand has to try and do all the work.  As using scissors is considerably less painful, I began leaning more heavily on collage with unaltered magazine images.  Although the work is physically easier, it is also emotionally unsatisfying.  Now and then, on a "good hand day," I would create a page entirely from scratch and the upwelling of glee was undeniable.  In turning down the easy path, I had forgotten the challenge and reward that my own work offers.  Some soul searching produced a moment of clarity and that became the following bonfire of goals:
  • Re-dedicate myself to physical therapy:  Curl, stubborn ring and pinkie fingers, curl!
  • In general, return to art that is heavily imprinted with my own hand & soul...
  • Illustrate (and share) original characters (no matter how tentative I am)...
  • Test the creative writing waters & see if there are any stories still alive inside...
  • Employ a specific theme for inspiration & consistency...
  • Explore that theme in a single project for at least a year... 
  • Radically reduce time spent collecting and increase time spent creating...
So there you have it!  Now you know the why, the when, and the how...all that remains is the what and that, dear readers, is a subject for another day!

2 comments:

  1. I had a playdate with an artist friend yesterday and missed this post! I'm sooo happy you've listened to your heart, Michelle! Your whimsical style and the fanciful creatures that are pouring from your creative soul thoroughly delight me!!! You inspire me!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed you also, away on vacation for a few days in Maine, and no computer in sight!
    I just say go with what your heart tells you, what is in your gut. Everything will work itself out. I tell myself all the time, try not to overanalyze.
    I see your true self emerging stronger than ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...