Saturday, October 10, 2009

Space-making Potential


I need a nook.  I am currently nook-less.  Like many of you, I have a lot of stuff.  It seems to go with the territory as us artists are potential-o-holics.  Things always have potential to become something cool or beautiful or whimiscal or just simply, something else.  And so we save and purchase and hoard things that have potential until one day, we look around and wonder why the studio feels so claustrophobic.  Did I mention that I have a lot of stuff??  (Maybe a virtual studio tour is in order.)  Anyway, I have realized that in all the neatly restrained and color-coded stuff, I am in serious need of a nook, a little space to curl up and read and sip French vanilla coffee and just breathe.  When I was hanging my show in the furniture store the other day, I kept getting distracted by all the furniture, specifically the overstuffed (no pun intended) chairs.  I could imagine myself snuggled into one of those chairs, wrapped in a quilt, gazing out at the lazy cows who wander the neighboring field.  Then something interrupted my daydreaming and I remembered that there's probably no room for another piece of furniture in my already stuffed apartment.  It is definitely time to commit wholeheartedly to using what I have and making space where I can.  And that can mean, most definitely, making time to breathe, time to snuggle, time to cow-watch.  In a pinch, the couch has nook potential.

3 comments:

  1. Love your space representation! Funny, but I took to the couch after work yesterday, and that was the first in a looooooong time, and it felt reeeaaaallly good! I also live in a very small house, so nook is where you choose it to be, and make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the best place to curl up is where you have always been doing your curling. :) Maybe you just need to take more time leaning on the windowsill staring out at the cows or space. A nook is nice but it might just represent a need for you to make sure you are getting enough "down" time for YOU. :)Bea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a self-help group for "Potential-O-Holics"?!? The next time my husband says something about all of my many "supplies", I'll have to tell him that I have this incurable disease! LOL!!!

    Nooks are good. Nooks are magical. Nooks are comfy. Everyone needs a special place to just be cozy and dream . . . or read . . . or watch the cows. Oh, and you're right about the quilt, Michelle! I helps the cozy-factor rise tremendously!

    Wishing you a wonderful weekend, and at least a few moments of "nook time"! Love & Hugs, Terri

    PS - Love the page! xoxo :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...