Friday, September 11, 2009

Small Things, Great Love

It is a minute past one a.m. Pacific Standard Time and I'm up, doing battle with a monsterous rhino virus that has me congested, coughing, and consequently, sleepless.  Bah!  I'm supposed to teach in eight hours and as it is my first day with my middle school monkeys, it is a day I can't miss.  I am frustrated that I will be less than my best, trying to just survive the morning.  But maybe today is the perfect time to heed Mother Theresa's advice:  there'll probably be no stellar performance in front of the classroom, no great big exciting day.  But maybe there will be circle time instead, a quieter, more intimate arrangement to accommodate my raspy voice.  Maybe we'll take a little bit more time to get to know one another before we pick up our pencils and try to tackle the six elements of design.  Maybe instead of following the grand plan, we'll try to just get done as much as we can and see what develops out of those eager, young minds when they are pushed gently with great love.  Maybe this cold is all part of some master plan to get me to slow down, to listen more than I talk.  Yes, I think I can make this work.  Now if I could only sleep...

4 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

By the time you read this, Michelle, you'll probably be back in the classroom with your adorable monkeys & squirrels. LOL! Hope that you managed to grab a few "winks" in prep for this busy day.

Sometimes the best plan is "no" plan! Just let the precious time with them to quietly unfold its beautiful petals. You needn't speak too much - they'll definitely "feel" your love! (I hope!!! LOL) Feel better! Love & Hugs, Terri xoxo

sharon said...

I'm sure everything will work out beautifully today, as you said, your body is telling you what to do, and I think you will absorb more today because of it. What a beautiful piece you have created to remind us of the small things in life, that are really the BIG things. Hope you feel better soon! Hugs

indybev said...

I treasure my visits to your blog, Michelle, both for your talent and your shared outlook on life in general. Be well!

anna maria said...

Hope you made it through the day ok!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...