Thursday, September 10, 2009

Patient Zero

Well, it's official: one day back on the job and I'm sick. Those sweet, bacteria-ridden youngsters saw me and my less-than-robust immune system coming from a mile away. It started with a sore, scratchy throat and a congested feeling and overnight, it rapidly evolved into the "drowning in my own fluids with my throat on fire" syndrome. Ick! *sniffle* What a lovely "first day" memento. I'm sort of chuckling though (in between nose blowing) because this literally happens every time I go back to teaching. Typically, it'll be the only time I'm sick during the semester even as, into the winter, the rest of the school begins to contract varying degrees of upper respiratory ickiness. As the school is very small, illness, once it gets started, runs like a wildfire through the school population. I wonder if I'm Patient Zero. Now there's a dubious designation. Anyway, not much I can do now except ride it out and hope the 33 middle school squirrels don't eat me alive tomorrow as my voice dwindles down to nothing. I have a day off today from any sort of compelling errands so I can stay home, bundle up, and get to the business of getting better. Sounds like a plan to me...

2 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

Oooooh Nooooooo, Michelle! Please don't fool around with this upper respiratory thing. A month or so ago my throat was on fire and my nose was dripping - after trying to ride it out for a week, I saw the doctor for drugs and finally started to feel better after three days on antibiotics! I hope that your case isn't that serious.

I can feel your joy at being back in the classroom again with your "squirrels"! LOVE this little sweet broken heart piece too. Be sweet to yourself today. I'm sending HUGE healing hugs & lots of love. (Some virtual chicken soup too! LOL) Love You! Terri xoxo

sharon said...

Biiiiig Hugs to you today! So sorry to hear of this, I wince just hearing you describe these symptoms!!
Hope you feel better soon, take the time to do that. I love how you have a piece that you've created that fits every one of your moods and days, this is so appropriate! It must be very encouraging to look back at all the pieces you have accomplished. I spent some time looking at your flickr stream last night...and I am just amazed for lack of a better word.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...