Thursday, September 3, 2009

One Down, Three to Go, Go, Go!


Well, yesterday I managed to get my first show hung since my wrist surgery. 19 "inspirational abstracts" are now residing for the next two months at a sweet little hair salon in my neighborhood. The owner, having booked the show without seeing my work, said the canvases "made her feel happy" so I'll take that and run since sometimes abstracts aren't that well received and it was my first foray into something other than representational imagery. (Ironically, the salon is named "New Image," quite fitting I would say for this freshman look from me.)
Now that I've gotten my feet wet on the local show circuit again, it's on to the next one scheduled to hang the first of October. Entitled "Facades" and to be located at a trendy furniture store, this show is a comprehensive, definitely representational, collage exploration of the simple house shape. I have 15 pieces ready to go but as I have another show booked in December that is interested in this series, I'll need to be cranking out more house 'scapes over the next couple of months. That December show is at a venue that sells antique lighting and furniture for people busy restoring their Victorians. An art series featuring houses would be perfect! Hopefully, I can come up with enough canvases to fill both bookings.
Ah, but there is no rest for the weary! In November and December, I am showing at my physical therapist's office, a huge (too huge) venue that could easily and happily accomodate 50 to 60 pieces. I've decided that this show will be the perfect time for what I'm calling "A Post-Fusion Retrospective," featuring all the work I've completed since my wrist fusion in March 2008. Pieces from both the "Soul Terrain" and "Facades" shows will end up in this show as will a series called "Souls in Flight" and many other miscellaneous pieces littering my studios. Whew! Oh, and I start back to teaching next week! Should be fun! Stay tuned for updates as my crazy art life gears up for some rollickin' good times!

3 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

Congrats and Whoo-Hoo!!! I can just imagine these gorgeous canvases hanging in the salon (so appropriately named too!). The color you've used for these abstracts are amazing - almost enchanting. They're bound to make many spirits feel your joy. Good for YOU, Michelle! You've managed to successfully climb one of your mountains! LOL Love & Hugs, Terri xoxo

sharon said...

Congrat's for you Michelle on all of these accomplishments...each and every one!! When I clicked on your new title on my blogroll, and saw these colors appear, I immediately smiled from ear to ear! For someone who has faced physical obstacles, you have more energy than a freight train rolling down the tracks! The diversity of your pieces never ceases to amaze me...and these are joyous, filled with life!! Thanks for making me sooo soo happy!

WrightStuff said...

They are really wonderful. How exciting to think of your work on display in the salon. They are very dreamy pieces. Love them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...