Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Moonscape & Messes

The theme for this week at Three Muses is "Moonstruck" and in this ATC, I decided to zoom on in the moon's surface to see what mysteries could be revealed there. I confess that this is an old piece as I am swamped in teaching prep work but I wanted to make sure that I had something to show for my favorite weekly challenge.

My first teaching day for the 2009-2010 school year is tomorrow! I am excited to see what students are returning to my classes and who's new to the program. Time to learn names again! I'm told I have approximately 15 high school students and at least 33 middle school students. I was cleaning up the art supply room today at the school and one of my students from last year happened upon me knee deep in crumbs of sidewalk chalk and crayon nubs. "Are we doing art?" he asked. "Tomorrow," was my reply to which he brightened, "So cool. See you then!" High praise coming from a young teenage boy. Just that small exchange kept me wading through the ruined bits of paper mache models, sticky glue bottles, dusty pottery supplies, stringy fabric scraps, and wayward glitter. Oh, the glitter! It was everywhere! I keep my supplies in my office so maintaining the school supply closet is simply something I offer to do as part of my artist-in-residence duties. It is a thankless job, no matter how organized I get it, as it seems to be the "kitchen sink" room (as in "everything but.") With some of the remodeling that has been going on, I wouldn't be surprised to see a sink magically appear in there when I'm not looking. Anyhow, after three hours this morning, I was able to unearth the floor and recreate access to the washer and dryer. (Oh, yeah...it is also the laundry room.) I also tidied up my office, got my supply cart stocked and ready to roll into tomorrow's class. Go! Go! Go!

17 comments:

indybev said...

....and still managed to send off an entry for our challenge. Now that's dedication, Michelle! We're so glad you bring your talents to our challenges, and your moonscape is deliciously creative. Thanks for working us into your crazy busy schedule!

Ozstuff said...

I'm so pleased that, in spite of your hectic week, you have posted a magical moonscape! Don't forget there are no rules at the Muses! Pictures present or pictures past are most welcome!
Thanks so much for taking the time (which you obviously don't have) to post a great picture for us to enjoy.

Terri Kahrs said...

It's nice to revisit an older piece now and then! This is done with your ever present spunky sense of humor!

I am SOOOO excited about your "first day" tomorrow. Get a good night's sleep (LOL) and prepare for an onslaught of new names and faces! Hugs, Love & Blessings for a wonderful scholastic year! Terri xoxo

Lori Saul said...

This is a wonderful , creative ATC and perfect for the moon theme! My hat is off to you as you start teaching tomorrow -what you do is so important! Good luck for the new school year!

Amy said...

I always wonder what you might find on the moon..this is really great and unique!!

sharon said...

I love seeing your old pieces, as they are all NEW to me!! And they teach me something about art and you!! Very appropriate for a Moonscape...and "cool" too!!

EraserQueen said...

I recognize this! I think I own one from the same set, from a Science swap at an old, now defunct, Yahoo ATC trading group! Great card :D

Taluula said...

I am so pleased you took the time to enter our challenge even though you are at such a busy time. I never thought about what might be 'on' the moon and see your creativity has made me think! Love this.

LiveArt said...

This is a fun piece!! Love to finally get proof to what's up there!! :)

Linda

Willy said...

Very beautiful moon ATC!

"MOI" Freubel said...

Well. i hope that you have had a fantasic first working day. !
And about your entie Michelle, what a unique idea to zoom in !
So different from all the rest and therefore very special to me !
Thanks for sharing your talent.

Betty said...

Beautiful atc.

Martina2801 said...

Stunning work! Love your creation.

Ellen said...

love the combination of old and modern . lovely image.

hope your first day went well.

vintage wil said...

This is wonderful !!

Musing said...

So sorry your first day made you ill. A number of teachers I know find themselves vulnerable when they return after a vacation. Such a shame.

Finding an old piece which relates to the theme may require more of a stretch of the imagination than simply responding to that theme. A good thing, I believe.Alovely piece.

José said...

Like your entry very much. Well done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...