Saturday, September 26, 2009

Monkey Tales


My middle school students are snip, snip, snipping through their way through their Romare Bearden-inspired neighborhood collages.  I had so much fun on Friday listening to all their stories and descriptions of their art as I repeatedly asked "So tell me about what is going on here."  I was rewarded with elaborate expositions on door cities, umbrella hats, atom bomb factories (there's always one it seems), and funhouse malls.  I tried to soak in every enchanting and imaginative detail as the monkeys spun their tales, chattering as fast as they could once gently prompted to describe their creations.  The classroom becomes a hurricane of paper bits, rogue glue sticks, and the occasional "running with scissors" incident.  The noise level is just beneath a dull roar but I let it rumble on as long as I see steady progress on collage construction.  All in all, it was a morning filled with wonder and wild wisdom.     

2 comments:

sharon said...

This photo really takes me back Michelle! I loved to do those things as a kid! I sure would have loved to be a fly on the wall there!! This is sooooo energizing...it would zing me through the weekend!!

Terri Kahrs said...

Am sitting in a hotel room in Bar Harbor, ME and smiling a huge smile of happiness while reading about your fabulously creative monkeys on the other side of the States! I can see the flying gluestix, hear the chatter and see the creativity all flying around the classroom simultaneously! What a treat to see a great teacher in action! Can't wait to see the results too. Hugs & Love. Terri xoxo

ps Can't wait to get home. Am missing my art and "alone" time! xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...