Friday, September 4, 2009

Itsy Bitsy Neighborhood

"When the last late, late show has gone off, I shall sleep. And then tomorrow..."

So reads the found word poem adorning the little houses in this collage piece for my upcoming show "Facades." This is an unusually small piece in the series - measuring just 6 by 12 inches. Most of the canvases are at least 2 feet long and a few are a foot by three feet in length. That's a whole lot of construction going on! Each little house begins with hand dyed and stenciled paper and then various scrapbook papers are cut, edged with ink and layered to create rooftops, windows, and doors. Each canvas then gets its own found word poem that tells a tiny tale about the scene presented. The assembly work involved reminds me a lot of quilting: tedious but meditative. I often pause midway through the process and wonder: "What was I thinking??" especially if it is a much longer piece. But somehow I manage to push past the doubts and fulfill the construction contract. So much of art is just that...pushing past doubts to completition. And when the doubt still lingers, it becomes all about letting go for a bit until you can return with refreshed eyes.

4 comments:

sharon said...

I love that statement about pushing past doubts...I feel I do that more often than not! Beautifully said!!
The houses are beautifully done, little bits and pieces of things that are the composition of our lives!! Sooo wonderful! It looks like they are all gossiping with each other, the creative energy that comes from the colors and the tilting of the houses......wow!

EraserQueen said...

Wow, these are so colorful and fun!

Terri Kahrs said...

Love, love, love this enchanted neighborhood, Michelle! There's a wonderfully magical quality about the colors and the construction materials you've chosen.

Hmmm . . . I love your verbiage - "pushing past your doubts", and can totally empathize. This smaller canvas is so wonderful, I can't even begin to imagine the impact of a much larger one. I'll bet it's got "Wow" impact!!!

Have a wonderful weekend! Love & Hugs, Terri xoxo

Taluula said...

I love this piece, there is just something wonderful about a row of such quirky houses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...