Monday, September 7, 2009

Beauty Will Be Bloomin'

Happy Labor Day to all of my readers here in the United States and for my international followers, happy day in general! Hope it is a relaxing event for one and all! For my part, I am furiously writing lesson plans as I start back to teaching in a mere two days! For those late to the ballgame, I'm the middle and high school art teacher at a small charter school in my hometown and my schedule has expanded this year from one to three days a week. In the past I've taught semester length classes but this year is the first where I'll have two classes (one per age grouping) that run the length of the entire year. This is fantastic as it means I'll have the same students all year and have more time to fully explore the artists and activities I have lined up. The high school group will be studying Spanish and Hispanic artists including Jose Posada, Xul Solar, Pablo Picasso, Frida Kahlo, and Diego Rivera. They'll be carving and printing, working with water-soluble oil pastels, creating Cubist self-portraits, sewing mixed media quilties, and designing and executing a mural. The middle school students will spend the year studying an artist or technique per continent so for them that includes Romare Bearden, Chinese brush painting, Australian bark paintings, and Georgia O'Keefe as well as Solar and Picasso. My supply shipments have all arrived on time so I'm ready to go...with the exception of all the lesson plans and visual aides. I'm a bit of a Last Minute Lucy so I've been busy typing up my thoughts in outline form so I have at least a rough idea of what I am going to babble on about each session. I am so excited! Teaching really energizes me and my own artistic process; watching fresh, young artists soak in information and then turn that into beautiful, soulful creations is the stuff of teachers' dreams. And this year, I will be blogging my experiences in the art classroom so maybe the inspiration that I have the privilege of drinking in every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday will inspire some of you to play at your own art with the eyes and heart of a child.

5 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

Wow! Two days to go until you enter your classroom! I'm SOOO excited for you AND your lucky students. I'm sending good vibes and tons of good wishes for a wonderful scholastic year. I KNOW it'll be creative and successful! Love & Hugs, Terri xoxo

Taluula said...

Sound wonderful, I would like to join your classes too. Pity it's a long way from the UK.

sharon said...

I am green with envy of you girl!! To see first hand new creations pour out of young minds, pure and fresh, makes me do a happy dance!! You will be such a great influence on their lives, just as you are here to us!
I love your simple sentiment today, very soft and beautiful!! Wishing you the best for your new school year!!

lee said...

I to would like to join your class, but alas and I hate to say this I am a little older than those lucky students.

anna maria said...

Your students are lucky to have such an enthusiastic teacher, and such a great program lined up for them. I couldn't handle being a teacher, but a teacher's assistant in class like yours would be wonderful!
Have a wonderful school year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...