Monday, August 31, 2009

Stitched & Stenciled Part 1










After a wonderful experience in the Pure Experimentation stenciling class taught by Mary Ann Moss of Dispatch From L.A., I decided to enroll in part two, "Stitched & Stencilled" and it has proven to be a grand distraction from my hectic schedule. The assignment was to paint, stencil, and stitch a mini book from watercolor paper, fabric, notions, and ephemera and this post features scans of my book pages in progress (each individual page is approximately 6 inches square.) I chose an Asian theme for my book and loved the process so much that I've begun three other books. Back in college, I began my diversion from "classical" fine arts like scientific illustration by exploring printmaking and bookmaking. Once I slid into mixed media, I've never looked back. This project reminded me how much I really, really love making artist books. This book isn't anywhere near finished; I plan on continuing to embellish and then writing a haiku for each page.

8 comments:

  1. I'll say it again...you teach me something EVERYDAY! These are incredible, and fascinating!! I am loving the luscious way you have with color and composition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely outstanding! Gorgeously cohesive....just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in Mary Ann's class too! Your pages are soo freaking outstanding! Amazing and gorgeous! So Lush! I wish I was closer to take one of your classes I am sure your a wonderful teacher! Please show us the finished book! I still need to get my sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh, Michelle! These pages are amazing as they are. I can't imagine how awesome they'll be with embellishments and journaling! Fabulous work! Love & Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pages are truly beautiful.
    I'm in Mary Ann's class as well, but haven't finished the first book yet. Just don't want to get that sewing machine out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These are awesome! I haven't even started on mine yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I love the Asian influence. That is going to be one fine book! I'm in that class too. I have a lot of pages painted, but it's been way to hot to get outside and stencil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea to add Haiku to these pages. You are so very talented, my dear!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...