Friday, August 21, 2009

A Long Day Ends with Color

I've had horrible, persistent insomnia for over a decade now, so when people look at my body of work and exclaim "When do you sleep?", I simply chuckle. I'm told that getting enough sleep is essential to health but for now, a little bit of insomnia allows me to meet the demands of my crazy schedule of parenting, art-making, teaching, and swap hostessing. I got up at four this morning (2am and 3am wake-ups are not uncommon) and cranked out nine, 5-inch square canvases and one, 14 by 18-inch canvas for my "Soul Terrain" show that hangs the first week in September. And after all that, I managed this uber-colorful entry in my Zetti journal. Now 8pm, I'm sensing my bedtime just around the corner (I do go to bed fairly early) as sleepiness starts to tug at my eyelids and a yawn or two escapes. Not too long after morning officially dawns but before the stars slip away, I'll be up and at it again!
Note: Because of the vibrant background, I had to use a little bit different technique when creating Princess Fidelia's dress. I sketched my outfit in pencil as usual but this time, I made a tracing paper pattern and cut her frock out of scrapbook paper so it would stand out. Highlights were added with a marker.

4 comments:

  1. I adoooore this Michelle!! Just love that face, the dress, the stockings, the whoooole thing!
    I too do not sleep enough, but not because of insomnia, just because I won't go to bed because I'd rather be up at night working, and sleeping during the day when I shouldn't be....always have been that way.
    Glad to see you are creating so much , WOW, just can't keep up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Shy but confident bit of royalty" . . . .Princess Fidelia RULES!!! Surrounded by vivid, luscious, yummy color, she is absolutely wonderful, Michelle! Superlatives fail me. This week's art has been a treat for the eyes and a feast for the soul. Have a super fantastic weekend, My Friend! Love & Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word! I've just become a groupie. Your work is fascinating, unique, artistic, inspirational, and I'm running out of adjectives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's quite a productive day! Sounds like a great time.

    I'm really enjoying seeing your journal pages these last few days, they are just wonderfully fun and colorful.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...