Thursday, August 13, 2009

Doodles

Now here's something you'll rarely see at Lost Coast Post: a peek into one of my sketchbooks. Oddly enough, I don't really worry all that much about posting my journal pages but my sketchbooks are another matter entirely. I have a least a dozen for a variety of topics from business babbling, show work, on-the-spot sketching, designing, and, as you can see, cartooning. I've taught cartooning in the past and plan to use it again this fall to teach the elements and principles of design, a normally rather dry topic of conversation. Anyhoo, I love to draw little cartoons, especially of owls, robots and lately, skeletons. I have entire character lines developed but it is stuff I keep under wraps as I consider my sketchbooks to be deeply personal. They are a place for me to play uninhibited. I love sitting down with my son (an extremely accomplished cartoonist in his own right) and just doodling away an evening. The real world drops away and the cartoon world emerges, a world full of whimsy and laughter. It is a world I thought maybe you all might like to peek into; just know it is only as far away as your own pencil and a piece of paper.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Michelle, for showing us this fun and whimsical side! Your "doodles" are charming, and brought a smile to my morning.

    What a great addition to your syllabus this fall. The kids will have a lot of fun with these. Geeze, it would've been nice if one of my design teachers had been so creative! LOL Hugs & Love, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh Michelle, another amazing thing you have shared with us! I don't doodle too much anymore, I guess maybe I should, these are really quite beautiful! The owls and the elephant are my favorite...thank you again for showing us your process!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...