Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Escape the Cages

It's Wednesday and time for a new challenge over at Three Muses. The word of the week is surreal and that pretty much describes every page in this journal, including this new page. I have just about ten journals in varying stages of completion and just in the last few days, I have revisited this one, thumbing through its pages and catching up with an old friend. Some have asked why I have so many journals going at once and the answer is twofold: If one page needs to dry, I can work on something else and two, I love to compartmentalize. Daily diary stuff in one, red & black art in another, collage style in yet another. In an altered atlas, I've created a storybook journal where I use make-believe characters and their tales to tell things about my own thoughts, dreams, and experiences. One journal is entirely for illustrated quotes and there's one devoted to all my health issues. The journal page I've shown here is also full of characters that I use to represent various parts of my conscious and sub-conscious self. I do a lot of self-affirmations in my journals, reminding myself to dream, believe, hope, strive, and fly free. We all have those nasty little inner critics living in our brains, whispering mean commentary on our lives. My journals give the nurturing, positive side of me a voice and they give my creative side a soft place to land. I've been journaling fairly regularly for about six years and I can't imagine my life without them.

16 comments:

  1. Wow this is amazing.
    Absolutely fantastic.
    Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful page…
    Beautifully done…

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This one blows me away. I loved your journaling and the image of the open cage which is something I can identify with. Your page is so beautifully crafted and so eloquently expressed. Fabulous work. I love what you have done with our challenge and hope you will come back next week for more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo, Michelle! I ADORE this page. Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment. I truly appreciate your input and can't wait to explore these new artists. It's all about "growing" artistically, isn't it?!? I'm off to explore the surreal world! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great entry in our challenge, Michelle! I'm midway through my 14th visual journal, so I share your enthusiasm. This page is wonderful, made richer by your journaling. Thank you so much for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your journal journeys sound like a great way to express every part of your life and a way to help with the healing process. I'm loving this and the previous piece on your blog so much and I'm glad you are able to articulate through them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW this is just so stunning! Amazing interpretation of the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like what you did with this page! Love it. It says so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your surreal concept here- very creative and artistically expressed- wonderful journalling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. bravo, friend! living in the cage of fear is a heavy burden. i used to have that address, as well. sometimes i find a stone from that house hanging around my neck. it isn't easily gotten rid of you. but you are so powerful, you are so true, you will always win. always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful journal page, thank you very much for sharing your art!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks absolutely great

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great design and I like the colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...