Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Big 4-0

Happy birthday to me! Today's my 40th year on the planet and I am taking things rather well as compared to my 30th wherein I cried for days before and days after. I've been doing a lot of thinking about this milestone in past weeks, trying to figure out where I've been and more importantly, where I'm going. The answer to the first question is long, detailed, and generally painful with a few bright spots sprinkled throughout the past decade. The future is wide open.

There are going to be some changes here at the Lost Coast Post as I move to make this forum more of a tool for my art life and business. Because, the answer to the big question, "What do I want to accomplish in the next ten years?" is quite obvious and simple: Build an artistic career that pays the bills and fills up my soul. Period. No more wallflowering. No more just surviving the days. No more self-doubt. No more putting myself and my dreams second just because I can't see the way clear. My 40th birthday is a blissful ending to a rough patch and the beginning of a whole new outlook. I am excited.

Notes on today's artwork: Illustration created for Vector Rehabilitation's annual Chocolate Gala fundraiser. Vector is the physical therapy office I have been attending since 2000; they have seen me through the aftermath of the last six surgeries. The man's head is a hand-colored image from Dover, the letters are clipped from magazines and the rest is hand drawn.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the day! It IS amazing what 10 years brings in maturity! I have you by another 8 years. I sooo envy your creative career! I also wish you much luck and enjoy following you and learning from you immensely! The pic is amazing! I love the hand draw parts! May you continue to grow and change! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Michelle!! Wishing you everything your heart desires and more! From the sound of this post, you will achieve that. I don't know your physical problems, only what you have mentioned, but to have 6 surgeries is enough information to go on. Apparently you are a very strong person, and you will succeed, you already have!!

    This piece is absolutely amazing....you are soooo talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, MICHELLE!!! I'm so happy for bright future-put those shades on!!

    Hugs,
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo-Hoo! Happy, Happy Birthday, Michelle! I'm so happy to hear that you've decided to bring your artistic goals to the forefront of your 40's. Good for you! You won't be a Grandma Moses!!!!

    May your day be filled with wonder, delight, love and joy. And may you have a year filled with artistic and personal fulfillment AND Good Health! Hugs, Love & Birthday Blessings, Terri xoxo

    PS I'm sending you a Flickr mail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Michelle! 30 was much harder than 40 for me too. So far, it only keeps getting better after the 4-0. Here's to bright futures and prosperous art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Happy JOY Joy to YOU!!!! i so wish i could be there to light a candle on a big buttercream covered cake for you. but can you hear me singing? happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear sweet micheeeellllle, happy birthday to you! and many MORE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!!

    Yes, you have to put you life and art before your bills!!! :O)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo and good luck! Oh and Happy Birthday!!
    Isn't it funny? I have been making the same decisions as you... although I'm 51!! Maybe it's the recession that's prompting us to just 'go for it'!! =))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday and have to say this one made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday a day late!! So sorry I missed this very important day - my crappy computerized calendar went down - your day was highlighted so I wouldn't forget!
    I wish you all the best!!
    hugs,
    jackie
    dixiespell@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated birthday wishes, Michelle! Believe me, there´s nothing bad about being in your fourties - sometimes I think that life gets better every day ... if there weren´t those health issues of course.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...