Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Through the Door

No butterflies in sight on this journal page...this is my entry for this week's theme over at the new Three Muses challenge blog. At Three Muses, they're exploring the theme "doors" and so I chose and slightly altered a quote from Christopher Morley. The actual quote reads "The courage of the poet is to keep ajar the door that leads into madness." However, I felt the sentiment was applicable to artists as well (poets are essentially word artists.) I know that I do this dance on a daily basis, trying to harness the fiery emotions and thoughts crowding my brain in any given moment. There's some potent, mad wild stuff going on upstairs, wonderful, inspirational, imaginative stuff if used right...powerful, move mountains kind of stuff if managed with a healthy dose of caution. The trick is determining how far open the door can swing before one has gone from crazy productive to just plain crazy. It is a constant struggle, full of letdowns and rewards, sorrows and joys, failures and triumphs. It can mean the difference between artistic fuel and a house in flames. Personally, if I can manage a bonfire of activity at the easel and in the same moment, a house that's only smoldering, well, that's as successful (and courageous) as it gets.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great picture! There is so much to see - and every piece worth a second look after reading the quote and your words underneath. Food for thought indeed. Thanks so much for joining in the challenge. Hope you can come back TOMORROW for the next one. Cheers from Marie aka Ozstuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been inside my head as everything you say is what I would say if I could articulate as well as you do. Your journal page has colour, wonderful content and is just generally gorgeous too. Your blurb just says it all, except who is to say what's crazy, if the house needs to burn so be it. Love your slightly altered quote and I'm sure I will have to borrow it myself sometime. Bravo my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Michelle, thanks for letting us peek behind your door to madness!! What a fun page to explore. Thank you for stopping by The Muses, and we hope to see you next challenge, which should be right up your alley -- WILD THINGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome journal page, Michelle. I totally understand the commotion going on behind that door. You've managed to articulate all of that wonderful activity so poetically and beautifully. Fabulous! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastically original collage! I think the trick is to keep the door just ajar, not to open it totally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You, my dear, are definitely a very talented artist of WORDS and COLORFUL ART!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My challenge is to materialize my thoughts. To make it turn out how I had envisioned it. (which is always grander) I'm starting to come out of my shriveled up mush for brains stage and having a few more "ideas" creep back in.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the Day of the Dead visual reference of the music playing skeleton ... your written references and re-envisioning of Morley's words to burning and fire tie the visual exhuberance of the piece to-gether quite nicely! Bueno!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...