Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bloom, Bold Palette, Bloom!


Here's a little something to brighten your day...I'm working on a series of "inspirational abstracts" for a show entitled Soul Terrain. (Thank you, Kelly for the idea!) This piece is on an 8 by 24 inch stretched canvas and is full of the juicy colors I hold so dear to my heart nowadays. Someone asked me how I get my journals so colorful and my answer applies to my paintings as well: it's all about the palette, baby! Back in the nineties, I was a pastel girl all the way; cornflower blue, nursery pink, pale yellow. My work back then was soft, subtle, quiet. And then, around 2003, I gradually started experimenting with color...real color...not some watered down, tint of a color but pure, screamin' in your face color! Quite simply, as my art and art life began to bloom, I decided "enough with subtle;" I want to be, live bold. Soft tones still appear every so often in my work as my emotions dictate (case in point, the art in my last two blog entries) but generally speaking, I work in hot pink, sunflower yellow, tangerine orange with splashes of turquoise and purple. And I gather supplies in those colors: papers, fibers, ribbons, paints, pencils, inks. That way when I'm working, I can stay in the same palette no matter the medium. All in all, the result is one of warmth, hope, and pure, unadulterated joy. Perfect.

3 comments:

  1. aaahh,I love this palette and this canvas,Michelle!Feels like a warm,happy summer day!There is something addicting to the use of these bright colors...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely!

    I love color : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I can soooo relate to this post! Most of my life I've been a pastel girl. During the past six months or so, something "snapped" inside of me and began to release all of the glorious, bold, bright colors that have been hibernating in my soul! Unadulterated joy . . . I LIKE that! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...