Friday, August 29, 2008

Returning to the World

It has been 4 months since I was allowed to finally meet my new, completely fused right wrist and the "getting-to-know-you" period has been protracted. Physically, things proceeded slowly but surely with lots of physical therapy (still ongoing.) The biggest challenge was/is combating the 39 years' worth of hard-wiring in my brain that tells me how to do things with a flexible wrist while actually using a fixed wrist. The simplest tasks seemed to become Chinese puzzles. Mentally...emotionally...my life took a turn down a dark corridor for a while as I tried to gain some measure of acceptance, inner peace, and strength in the face of a draining recovery process. For a while, I went into hiding as the world seemed just too bright for comfort.

And now, I am surfacing, breathing deeply and liking what I see. On so many levels, after some therapy, much brutal self-examination, lots of quiet contemplation, a multitude of sunny days spent beneath the garden's jasmine, a little bit of Tai Chi, the unwavering support of friends & family, copious journaling, healthy living and yes, a bit of medication, I feel as if I am entering a time of personal renaissance. My artistic life is still recovering as my wrist continues to strengthen but each new day, I manage a little bit more in the studio. I have show venues booked for 2009 but for now, I am playing, experimenting, testing and retraining my mind and hands. My journals have really taken center stage in the last several months so I have LOTS of new work to show. My journals provided a soft place for my wild emotions to land without judgment. They also became a daily "exercise yard" as I reintroduced my hand to the world of art supplies patiently waiting for me to reach out once again.

5 comments:

Fran Saperstein said...

I've been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. I'm so glad to hear things are falling back into place for you. xo, Fran

Ann Christine Dennison said...

So glad you are able to be creative again. I could imagine it has been pretty tough! Carry on envisioning transformations :-)

Kelly Snelling_Soulhumming.typepad.com said...

your journal pages are beautifully inspiring and oh so lovely! i am tuned in and ready to see them. i am so happy to see you posting!

jackie said...

I've missed your posts and SO understand where you've been! I am happy to see you coming back to the surface! Your journal pages are deep and lovely!
hugs,
jackie

daydreamstudios said...

Welcome back...it was worth the wait! :-)
Karla

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...