Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Red-Crowned Blessings

Here's another mixed media/acrylics canvas I completed over the weekend...It's the biggest I've done so far since taking up painting again...24 by 30 inches. This photo is a bit dark; the background is actually a light green onion skin mulberry paper with actual bits of green onion slices and onion skins as inclusions in the paper. I drew and cut a large pattern of the tree and after making sheet music serendipity canvas paper, I recut the tree and mounted it to the background. The symbol in the lower left means "long life." In Chinese symbology, the red-crowned crane is second only to the phoenix in importance and they represent longevity as well.

I created this piece as a gift for the physical therapy clinic I have frequented in the last seven years. The work I do there for my chronic issues is still ongoing and they have been invaluable in helping me stay mobile and relatively medication free even in the face of severe pain. What they do is invaluable, not only for me but for the community at large; They often subsidize PT care for low income clients who otherwise might not be able to attend physical therapy due to severe insurance restrictions. The staff, from the therapists themselves, to the aides and office staff are always friendly, encouraging, and supportive and I wanted to make sure that I told them how much I appreciated what they do. I'm not always so good expressing such things out loud but I can always write a decent letter or create a piece of art. Here's to Vector Rehabilitation's past and future success; I hope this piece helped convey that message.


P.S The clinic ended up hanging this in their lobby, replacing a stock repro of a Gauguin piece (*gasp*). I told my PT that Gauguin was probably rolling in his grave and he replied that if there was still enough left of Gauguin to roll, then he was welcome to it.

2 comments:

  1. Awsome piece Michelle, you never cease to amaze and aw me what a wonderful artist you are!! Your piece deserves to be hung where all can enjoy it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, Michele. Your tree is wonderful and balances gorgeously with your cranes.Painting is so good for the soul!
    connie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...