Saturday, January 6, 2007

I Resolve To...

"Escape cold museum art with a warm renaissance in journal experience & explore the journey of my zero-gravity soul."

I created this journal entry waaay back in February 2004 but I find it extremely relevant this new year...wow! 2007! Here I come! It is very intriguing to look back at past entries and see where my head and heart were at days, months, and even years ago. Wonder what it means if I'm in the same place I was three years ago? On the right path? Or in a rut?
Whatever the case, I love this time of year as everything seems infused with hope and possibilities. I am a huge fan of making and trying to keep resolutions, both artistically and personally. My track record isn't too bad but there are always a few that fall by the wayside. Those "failed" resolutions I carry over into the next year...and the next...and the next...until I manage to see them through. The resolution list is getting long but I have not lost faith in seeing those self-promises fulfilled. Here are some of my artistic resolutions for 2007:

1) I have decided to create 5, 1-inch art squares every day for a year. I know, I know...what was I thinking?? Actually, I was thinking that it is essential for serious, committed artists to create art every day and that an art career must be tackled as any job. I have many obstacles to the daily practice of art and it is easy for me to trip up and not do art for days at a time. But if I have any hope of becoming a working (and well-nourished) artist, I have to be in habit of art each day. I chose 1-inch art squares because they are a manageable size to tackle in a short amount of time but also challenging as the smaller you work, the more concentration and creativity it requires to produce a successful piece. I'll post these little exercises a week at a time as the year progresses.

2) I resolve to play the part of an artist more. I am sort of a wallflower, extremely self-conscious and worried about what other people will think of me. I have almost a phobia of people looking at me and tend to wear dark colors, no jewelry...nothing that will seemingly draw attention to my existence. But artists succeed when there is a certain freedom of thought and emotion, a willingness to "live out loud" as Emile Zola declares. Only by fully embracing the wild experience of living can I fully explore and express my experiences in this life. This is probably my most terrifying resolution so I'm going to take it a little bit at a time.

3) I want to develop my own stylized faces for use in my journals, art dolls, and other mediums. I've written before about my fear of figures/faces but this is the year to overcome that and see what I can create if I will only practice.

4) I vow to treat myself to 2 to 3 "art dates" per month. Julia Cameron writes about this concept in her classic "The Artist's Way" and suggests that when artists work they pull from deep inside and that the "well" of experience needs to be refilled on a regular basis. I do journal on the town about once a month with a dear friend and this time is a powerful and enriching art date that I find to be irreplaceable for regenerating my enthusiasm and creativity. And as a single mom, time out in the world may be the singlemost important key to sanity!

5) I want to continue teaching art at a local scrapbook store and offer classes again at my little apartment/studio. I did that for a couple of years and it was a wonderful experience. I just need to be a little bolder about advertising and self-promotion so I can broaden my student base.. (Maybe it will help if I'm wearing brighter colors! lol)

There's lots more smaller resolutions related to my artistic life and more than a few personal resolutions that I won't elaborate on here. As I said, the list is long but here, on the 6th day of the new year, I am filled with positive thoughts and excitement for what I can make come to pass! (We'll see where I'm at three months from now...)

2 comments:

  1. Great resolutions - looking forward to seeing those 1" pieces. What a constructive idea.

    I have done an art review for last year, looking back at what I have made throughout the year and planning what I dearly want to do in 2007. Doing this made it so clear to me what I wanted to do more of and what I distracted myself with, LOL!

    Lets hope 2007 is going to be a great year for us both!

    Hugs,
    kari x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your resolutions for the year, Michelle.
    Boy can I relate to #2. That was so me in junior high and high school. I still have my wall-flower moments.

    I can relate to #4 also. I get to meet with artists on a regular basis and I have no doubt my art would be in a whole different place without this experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...