Monday, January 8, 2007

5 Inches a Day Underway

Art Squares for January 1st, 2007
As I posted previously, I have vowed to create five, 1-inch squares of art every day throughout 2007. I have set a few parameters for this project:

1) The squares must work together; in other words, they should function as a series rather than individual pieces.
2) The pieces should reflect an experience, event, thought, or emotion I have during the day in question. Thus, the squares will serve as mini journal entries. There is no written component to this project so any explanations of the squares' significance will be known only to me unless I elaborate on it here at my blog.
3) As much as I might want to, I am limiting myself to just the five a day. It is easy to get caught up in these fun little creations but I have a million other things to do and I can't get overly sidetracked with this undertaking. Plus, I don't want to tempt myself into cheating by creating squares for than one day at a time. 5 squares a day...that's it...period.
4) I am putting no pressure on myself to create "perfect" art each time. The point of this exercise is to ingrain a habit of daily artmaking no matter the obstacles that arise.
5) Whenever possible, I am trying to sit down and create these at approximately the same time each day. Early mornings are best and this daily dose of dainty art helps warm me up for larger projects.
6) I am gluing each day's set of squares into an altered daily calendar so I can see a week's worth of art at a time. If I manage to see this endeavor through to the end, I will have created 1,825 squares total.

January 2nd through January 8th:
Notes:
The squares for January 3rd (2nd from top) didn't turn out quite right as I attempted tiny transfers that were too light. However, they do sort of convey the idea of "Alice Through the Looking-Glass." On the 5th, we had an extremely hard freeze here in Northern California so that day's set of blue squares reads "I See Specters in the Snow." On the 6th, the text reads "All sought refuge in the beauty of artistic dreams." On January 7th, I used a small picture of Saint Stephen, who (unbeknownst to me at the time) is invoked against migraines. Love that serendipity! Lastly, the text on January 8th reads "No dream is ever too big."
I am experimenting with allowable image size on Blogger so hopefully, I'll be able to post scans that reveal all the tiny details. As I complete seven days' worth of squares, I will post them and offer a few notes on my reasons or inspiration for their creation.

5 comments:

  1. Michelle, what a fabulous idea to do 5 squares a day! Your work here on your blog and in your picture trail is simply stunning!!Good luck with all your classes and new adventures, go fish mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE everything you recently posted on your blog. Such beautiful eye candy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I love these - every day is a triumph! I have just started doing 1 square a day and am enjoying the experience.

    You are certainly on a roll at the moment.

    Hugs,
    Kari x
    www.inkytinker.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna echo what Aileen said. I've seen other people doing these inch squares, but wowzers they look great when you do them in a series like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Michelle, these are fabulous! I LOVE the idea and your pieces are wonderful! I look forward to seeing them throughout the year. And gosh, I admire your goal! You are a brave soul.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...