Thursday, July 20, 2006

Suffocation of a Renegade


Here's "ME" in the center, surrounded by the swirling, encroaching, suffocating piles of "My Stuff"...I did this mini-journal entry after one of my various adventures into the mountains of papers, fabrics, doodads, dohickeys, and thingamabobs I have bought and hoarded in anticipation of future projects. Every time I launch into one of my organizational sprees, I feel exactly how this journal entry looks: A bright, happy artist filled with potential brought to her knees by the crushing stacks of stuff that already has a look of its own. All that stuff is color-coded, obsessively neat, and artfully displayed but inside me, chaos and conflict reign.

I think the need to hoard is an age-old instinct leftover from the caveman days when food was scarce and every scrap had to be tucked away for the inevitable lean times. As agriculture developed and the need to wander miles for food was eliminated, humans still felt the itch to hoard. Fast-forward to 2006, and I am scratching that itch raw. I know there are plenty of artists out there scratching along with me. The problem is that hoarding is actually counterproductive to the artistic life. Instead of filling us up, it fills up our homes and simultaneously starves our creative wells.

When the great masters of the Renaissance painted, they didn't wait anxiously at the local art supply store, hungering for the latest shade of indigo blue or the latest set of cool sketching pencils in a fancy tin case. Leonardo didn't spend his time thumbing through the most recent sales catalog, dog-earing page after page of alluring new products. He simply painted. He got down to the business of art-making rather than wasting countless hours patronizing art-making businesses. And when you gawk at his art, you don't point to a speck of paint and say "Now there's that shade of burnt umber he purchased at "Oil Paints R-Us." Back then, the artist commanded the supplies and they bent to his or her will, product names & trademarks disappearing into the canvas as the art emerged. Looking at trends today, I really feel that, more often than not, the artist creates after the supplies have supplied the inspiration. Creativity is at the beck and call of all that stuff: "I see something new and cool....oooh! Got to have that! Don't know what to use it for or how but it is the latest, greatest, and hottest! I'm sure I find something to use it for!" "Aaaah, now I need it in every color and derivation." And so the stash gains a life of its own.

Now this may be an unpopular statement (and its just my personal opinion so don't send hate mail) but I feel that the scrapbooking phenomenon is a lot to blame for this trend towards creating for the supply and not for the artist. At least it started there and has spread like a virus to other artistic arenas. How many of us can look at a project and say "There's that paper from_____" and "There's those stamps by______"? When you lean heavily on products that are so predetermined that they are instantly recognizable, a little bit of the recognition for the artist is sucked away. While I love to look at and admire Lynne Perella's style or Claudine Hellmuth's collage work, I don't want that to be all people see when they look at my work. Throughout traditional art history, the artists that came before were used as inspirational springboards into the unknown. I want to leap forward into uncharted (or at least, less tested) waters, not into the same old stagnant pool. And quite frankly, I'm tired of only seeing the popular trends in other people's work. If the first thing that runs through my head is the catalog or company that stars in an artwork, that work is diminished in power. Instead of making the soul front and center, the product butts its head into the process and in many cases, just simply takes over.

This is really an age old struggle. Popular and mainstream sells. There is comfort in the familiar. And the familiar can be beautiful. But the familiar and beautiful aren't typically the bastions of breakthroughs and new paths. Most of what becomes considered pretty and popular was once regarded as odd and even ugly. The Impressionists were blasted by the critics after their first public showing. Now Impressionist art is considered to be one of the most sublime developments in art history.

I long to be a renegade. I look at my collection of embellishments, rubber stamps, and scrapbook papers and I don't see me looking back. The key is to incorporate those products cautiously into work that is predominately determined by just little old me. Serendipity papers, hand-carved stamps, altered photos, personal drawings and paintings: All of these things can sing for my artistic self when brought together in harmony on the page or canvas. And as a bonus, using personally-created imagery, handmade embellishments, and neutral supplies (like paints, inks, mediums etc) help the artist more easily avoid entanglements in the web of copyright law. Collecting new techniques is a far more useful and enlightening venture. Don't get me wrong: I love all that I have collected but often, I now try to repaint, pull apart, tear up, and otherwise crush the easily recognizable, at least in my personal work. I put on another hat when I teach in a product-driven setting but my private classes are all process-driven. I'm interested in nurturing artists, not art companies. I want to enrich my life, not impoverish my pocketbook. This is a battle I think I'll be waging for a long while but if I persist, eventually MY style, taste, look, and story will rise above the stuff.

5 comments:

  1. Wow...great comments! I'm in total agreement with you. I love using my rubber stamps, etc. but I'm much more drawn to the idea and process of using my own images, paint and drawings. Now, if I could only draw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written and I agree with so much. I am a companies dream consumer and I don't want to be.

    I love the idea of doing things the old-fashioned way. And as a little girl, I remember just going through the Sears or JCP catalogs, tearing out pictures, using the ol' Elmers and the jumbo box of crayons and having a blast! Why do I need to spend hours upon hours on the Internet finding the next best thing? Hummmm.... I don't know exactly except it's a rush. But I do relate to your journal image and feel like things are closing in on me all the time - just too much stuff. Thank you for writing this and I will go back often to reread and remind! Best to you, Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,

    I totally agree with you, it is time to get back to basics. Maybe it is time for a major clear out? You could sell some of it on Ebay, possibly?

    Personally, my major collecting problem is, er, JUNK! I pick bits up from the pavement, I hoard scraps of paper, images, old books, tickets, wallpapers etc. and I feel overwhelmed by these too.

    Lack of funds has kept me from patronising all these wonderful shops, but it hasn't stopped me from hoarding, LOL!

    We need a ten-step program..

    Kari x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Michelle here I was ready to send a search party out for you and then you posted, so glad to hear from you and WOWOWOW what awesome art you've created I can't get enough of it! I can relate to what you are saying! I see where Daniel gets his great imagination!
    Keep up the awesome inspiring writing and art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, Michelle! I love what you're doing here. Been concerned about you. I'm glad to hear your absence has been due to something creative and wonderful like this. Keep it up, girlie! XXOO!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...